Thursday, December 2, 2010

Festival of Trees!

Monday was the day we set up Mikkie's tree at Festival of Trees! It took a lot longer than I expected. Thank goodness for the help I got otherwise I would have been there ALL day. I think it all turned out so cute!

There were 7 of us (my mom, sisters, SIL's and cousin) but not everyone could make it Monday, but they all contributed so much and I'm so grateful to them for that and to all those who were able to make some donations with Mikkie's song. I truly, truly appreciate it! You all helped this become a reality! It just sold today, I'm SO happy!!

Anyone who has read my poem/heard Mikkie's song and knows Mikkie can see all the symbolism in here: Butterflies, shoes, lipgloss, gumballs, bright, fun, and glittery! That little girl was so full of life and was as fun as can be! I really hope she likes it, I could totally see her having fun with something like this, both her and Faith would be in heaven......well now, I guess one of them is, huh. :)

Now for everyone who's been asking for pictures....here you go, finally! :)

My mom made the cute skirt and the tree skirt, my cousin Delaina made the hair bows and my SIL Kristen made the rag quilt and all did a SUPER job on them! Super super cute!!!


13 comments from awesome people!:

The Jessee Journal said...

Everything looks fabulous!! i'll have to share the link on fb, I've had a lot of people ask me about it :) :) Do you know if it was a business or a person/family who bought the tree? I think it would be interesting to find out their story and why they chose Mikkie's tree.

Amber said...

Wow Laura that turned out so beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Andrew went to the Festival of Trees today for school. He said the tree looks marvelous! He said he also noticed how all the kids that passed by loved the gum ball machine. --Sherrie

swankypup said...

Oh, Laura (and all you other hardworkers!), what a masterpiece! I have tears on my face as I look at this beautiful work of love. Imagine the other children who will benefit from the sale of this tree and all the others! Great work!

Jessica said...

Gosh, I'm jealous! Will you come decorate my tree? It turned out beautiful! If I had the money I totally would have bought it! You do amazing work! I'm sure Mikkie loved it! :D

cherie said...

Its Beautiful, and the story behind it is even MORE beautiful! Thank you for your inspiration of taking something so tragic and turning it into helping others! You are an amazing person and mother! And I draw strength from just reading your blog! Thank you!

James and Crystal said...

You all did a wonderful job, it is BEAUTIFUL!

AlexFam said...

I saw Mikkie's tree yesterday. It is so beautiful and perfect!! We started at the north end and the kids got bored 5 rows in, which is 3 more than last year. I was bummed not to have seen her tree. But then, as we were walking to the Kiddie Korner, something caught my nieces eye and she quickly turned left. And there it was! The most perfect pastel paradise, so cute! I'm thrilled I was able to see it in person. What a wonderful expression of your love! Sincerly Cindee (Sorry, I'm a blog stalker. But not is a creepy way, I just think you're fabulous and inspiring!)

Katie Webb said...

Wow, its really beautiful!!

Lisa R.D. said...

It turned out so great! I hope it's okay that I posted the pictures to my blog too :). I love it!!!

Traci said...

It's BEAUTIFUL!! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I cried for 20 minutes after seeing the pictures. You have an amazing heart and are an incredible woman and friend and sister-in-law. It's perfect. The gift cards were a great idea, too! I just think you're fantastic. Miss you guys! Thanksgiving was fun.

lAuRa said...

Wow what an overwhelming response we've gotten from this, thank you all! I appreciate your kind words.

Marcie, It was Goldman Sachs who bought it...along with a few other trees. my guess is they bought them for families who can't afford a Christmas. I wonder what familiy will get it and hope they enjoy it!

Sherrie, I also noticed little girls walking up to the gumball machine when I was there too. I don't blame them...I want one myself too! :)

Jess, Yea I'll come do your tree, it will give me an excuse to come visit you! haha ;) I definitely couldn't have done this without the creativity and help from all my family!

Cindee, I'm glad your little girls saw it so you got to see it in person! And there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a blog'stalker'- I too am one to several blogs! ;)

The Sutton's said...

I love this tree!!! I wish I had one like that, you could help me too with my tree, then maybe it wouldn't look so sad!! I hope all is well for you guys, take care!!! We hope to see you soon!!!