Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years Goals

I love the start of a new year; you have a clean slate once again to start over fresh. I'm adamant about making each year better than the previous. I love goals and getting that sense of accomplishment and feel I'm making progress, it's a GREAT feeling! One of the things that brings me great satisfaction is to be organized. I feel so much more in control and so much more peace when I have things planned out.

Let's check my goals for 2009 and see how well I did:

NEW YEARS GOALS 2009
learn sign language
lose weight -(not fit like I want to, but at least I lost most my baby fat from Mikkie!)
attend temple monthly(We were so close on this one..just missed 2 months.) =(
be more positive- focus on good things
do more service-something nice for someone each week (Tim thinks I did lots of service...I guess we're our own worse critics, eh)
☑☑be more organized-prepare cards/gifts ahead of time so they're done by special occasion.
do more writing
?? read book of mormon again-with study journal-- (I didn't do the study journal, but I did read the whole Doctrine & Covenants two times! I think that counts..) =)
VT every month(boy did I fail miserably at this! I didn't even go once!)
☑☑potty train faith!
☑☑improve design skills

Not bad, but not my best either. I can do SO much better. This year for my New Year's resolutions, instead of just making a list of what I want to get done, I'm doing Three things:

First I get organized by making a list of everything that's going on in the year 2010 (i.e. birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, other special occasions) and list them in the month before it happens so I can plan/prepare for it a month in advance. I did this for last year and found it to be VERY helpful and effective. I had everything written down so I wouldn't forget and would know each month what I needed to be focusing/working on.

Second, make goals. I just thought of a way to do this better for this year, instead of making a list of goals like I stated earlier, I made a goal for each month. On my "organized list" if you will, at the bottom of each month's list, I assigned a goal to focus on for that whole month. I'm very excited and hope it will return good results.

Third, I'm going to return and report...right here to you guys. =) maybe it will help me be more motivated knowing I have to report to you. At the end of each month, I will record my progress on here and hopefully get some encouraging remarks to help me keep going. ;)

Here's my collage I made of my goals that I'm putting as my desktop background on my computer to be a constant reminder!

January: Be consistent in establishing some type of workout routine and make it a habit (with a whole month just dedicated to this, I have high hopes I can pull it off =)

February: Study a topic in the scriptures each week and really become familiar with it.

March: Read! See how many books I can read in this month.

April: Give all attention to getting our square foot garden prepared and planted!

May: Learn to crochet and make at least one thing.

June: Give even more time to my kids (not like I won't spend more time with them in any other month); study and find better ways to teach them and have Faith memorize the alphabet.

July: Learn how to swim. Yes, I'm FINALLY going to get the guts to do this. I'm going to have Faith take lessons with me. =) So, I guess a double goal here.

August: Set up an Etsy shop and sell stuff.

September: Get more serious about my writing. Have at least one or two stories done.

October: Learn how to do Family History. I've not one clue of how to research my ancestors...and I know just the person to go to for help....my Grandpa! =)

November: Memorize Morse code....could come in very handy. Tim and I learned to do it a while ago, but I need a refresher and be able to have it down pat.

December: Serve more. Instead of waiting for an opportunity to come to me, I'm going to go looking myself and find ways to serve, even if it be something small.

I'm VERY excited and pumped to get started on a new year learning new things and bettering myself. I have a feeling it's going to be a great year! Happy New Year to you and may you be blessed to set some goals for yourself and have the motivation to achieve them!

4 comments from awesome people!:

Katie Webb said...

Fantastic idea Laura! I think I'm going to have to try it this way also, because usually by March I'm so overwhelmed with trying to accomplish all my goals that I toss them to the wayside. Thanks for the ideas. Good luck on your goals and happy new year!

The Jessee Journal said...

I like the idea of breaking them down and just doing one goal a month. I have too many things I want to accomplish to expect me capable of doing them all at once :)

Jenny said...

What a great idea, doing/learning something monthly! You are so on the ball!

Michelle Nielson said...

wow good job laura!! what an example you are!!! those are amazing goals, and that is such a good idea to do goals by the month!! YAY!