Saturday, February 6, 2010

Valentines sweets

There was a bunch of goodies I wanted to try out but only got to a few. I can't believe Valentines is next week! Good thing I started planning early.


So, made some pink & red chocolate dipped pretzels, mini cupcakes and some REALLY good sugar cookies! They are just like the ones you get at the store, except better. =) My mom found the recipe for the cookie and I found a royal icing recipe from Martha Stewart I wanted to try; it looked so smooth and glossy. This is probably the only time that I made something and it turned out somewhat like the picture. (not as pretty, but it did look glossy and smooth like the picture!) After icing hardened it was even better, there was no holding back on inhaling those puppies!
What to do with all these sweets around?!?! Valentines isn't just for your special someone, it's for everyone you love, ya?! I love my neighbors, so I made some goody plates for them. It shows them we love them and helps us by ridding my kitchen of a plethora of dangerous sweets. Good plan. =)

Moist & Chewy Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter softened
2 c sugar
Cream together. Add:
3 eggs
1 c sour cream
1 t baking soda
2 t vanilla
Mix together til fluffy.
4 cups flour (use 3 at first, then use only what you need after that, don't use too much flour)
Cut out with shapes, place on greased cookie sheet @ 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. We did 8 min. and they turned out perfect.

Royal Icing
2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted
10 tablespoons meringue powder
1 cup water

3 comments from awesome people!:

Michelle Nielson said...

ok seriously laura~why cant WE be neighboors like we always talked about in highschool!!!!! grrr!!!! Maybe one day!!! :) I am totally gonna(ask =) hahah) have brad make those cookies for me, i cant wait!! hahaha :D

lAuRa said...

haha you're funny Mich! I know, that's what i've been thinking, we totally need to be neighbors, we've been waiting for you guys to move out here for a while now! =) lol Brad should totally make these for you! they're easier than they may sound! =)

Lisa R.D. said...

I can't wait to try this cookie recipe... I've been craving some yummy, soft cookies.