Monday, March 29, 2010

Monthly goal review

Goal for March: See how many books I can read.

Rating:★★★★★

10 books, I'd have to say that's pretty dang awesome. It's more like 14 books cuz some of them were BIG, especially Undaunted-talk about massive(but incredible) book! I'm serious when I say that's more I've read than the whole last year and maybe the year before that combined. I have a love-hate relationship with books. (among other things) I don't read much and I remembered why when I started this month. I can't stop!! I really get into my books. I loved every one that I read and recommend them all. It was not a waste of my time, but...wow! haha

Three of them had quotable lines and thoughts that stuck out to me and I wanted to share a few of them. I'll list them under their titles below.
The Last Song- Loved it and am so excited to go see the movie with my friend on Wed!

Man's Search for Meaning- Excellent, made me think and I agree with the points he makes.
  • “Don’t aim for success. The more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one’s personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one’s surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it."
  • No man should judge unless he asks himself in absolute honesty whether in a similar situation he might not have done the same."
  • “Everything can be taken from man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms- to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."
  • “What matters most, is to make the best of any given situation."
  • A human being is not one in pursuit of happiness but rather in search of a reason to be happy."
Hunger Games- Great series! I'm hating the wait til August for the last book to come out!
Catching Fire-" "
Leadership & Self-Deception- Excellent as well! loved their other book Anatomy of Peace also! I love how they write in story format, it helps me able to grasp the concept so much easier.
  • We can tell how other people FEEL about us and it’s to THAT that we respond."
  • "No matter what we’re doing on the outside, people respond primarily to how we’re feeling about them on the inside."
  • " Sometimes we focus on and inflate other’s faults to feel justified for our own. We inflate other’s faults while minimizing our own."
  • "The behavior we complain about is the very behavior that justifies us."
Undaunted- Fantastic! I loved reading the true story about the pioneers-what amazing, courageous, faithful people!

City of Bones- Another great series! I'm thinking I like this one better than Twilight series.
City of Ashes-" "
City of Glass-" "

Glimpses- So great. I love this lady and admire her so much, what an incredible woman!
  • Do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, with a cheerful heart.
  • Appreciation unexpressed is not appreciation.
  • It is our trials that make us humble and strong.
  • Everything you do now is preparing you for something else.
  • "The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry, I prefer to laugh, crying gives me a headache."
  • Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.
  • It is the artful duty of a woman to adjust.
I have so many other books on my list to read and am continually looking for great recommendations. So if ya have any, let me know! =)

2 comments from awesome people!:

The Sutton's said...

WOW that is a lot of books!! Good for you for reading so many in one month and getting your goal, you get two thumbs way up!!!

Raven said...

Way to go, Laura! I need to get back on a reading kick. And thanks for the reviews! I just requested City of Bones from our library thanks to you :)