Monday, August 16, 2010

Grieving

I don’t know what to say except, please be patient with me for a little bit, while I am having an incredibly hard time dealing with the devastating loss of my baby Mikkie while vacationing at Bear Lake.

Many people have reached out with love and have asked how they can help. We are extremely grateful for everyone’s generosity, and it has truly made this burden we carry much lighter. Family, friends and people I’ve never met before. There are so many good people out there. To you and all those who are understanding, I am forever grateful to you. Thank you.
If you would like to help with the unexpected medical and funeral expenses, Tim’s friend has helped set up the donation button on the top right of my blog, or you can donate to the “Mikayla Harper Donations” at Zions Bank. We’d greatly appreciate anything you would be able to donate, no matter how small.

I’m still in shock, and things are still slowly sinking in, so I will be posting more about the trip and most likely this tragedy soon, until then, here’s a beautiful obituary for Mikayla that Tim’s sister put together.






Our sweet Mikayla Lynn Harper (Mikkie), born November 10th, 2008, left her earthly family to return to her Father in Heaven on August 14th, 2010, after a tragic accident while vacationing with her family.

Mikkie is survived by her parents, Tim and Laura Harper, and sister, Faith. In addition, she is survived by grandparents, Bruce and Terri Harper (formerly of Tooele) and Lyle and Tina Jessee (of Riverton), great-grandparents and many aunts, uncles, and cousins. Her great grandmother Lucille Harper and great grandfather Clayton Wilbur were among those who welcomed Mikkie to her heavenly home.

Mikkie had a special, sweet little spirit and brought joy and laughter to all those who knew her. She loved watching and playing with her older sister Faith and her cousins.

If you would like to join in support of the Harper family, a viewing will be held on Tuesday, August 17th, from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Broomhead Mortuary at 12590 S. 2200 W., Riverton. Another viewing will be held at the LDS Meetinghouse located at 13400 S. 2700 W., Riverton on Wednesday, August 18th at 10 a.m., followed by funeral services at 11 a.m. Interment will be in the Riverton city cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, if you would like to help, a trust fund has been set up to help cover unexpected medical and funeral expenses at Zion’s Bank under Mikayla Harper Donations.

We are deeply saddened by the loss of her presence while we remain apart from her. We love you. Until we meet again sweet Mikkie…

25 comments from awesome people!:

Doty Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doty Family said...

Sometimes there are no words that can adequately express such emotions. I will be praying for you and your family. May you find peace and trust in Heavenly Fathers love.

Tina said...

We love you and your family so much. Please know that we are constantly thinking and praying for you and your family. Knowing the plan that our Heavenly Father has for us gives me such happiness that we will return to live with our loved ones again!

Unknown said...

My heart is breaking for you. Sending love and prayers.

Michelle Nielson said...

Laura me and lots of people that I know,but don't know you, ache for you and are praying for you and your family during this difficult time and that you will find peace with this situation and yourself. You are an amazing person. I am sure mikkie would want you to remember that. Big hugs.

Jessica said...

Lafa,

My MIL sent this to me a couple of weeks ago. It has provided me with some comfort from when I miscarried. I hope that it can bring you some comfort in this hard time for you and your family. Know that your Heavenly Father is there for you always and loves you!

What Makes A Mother

I thought of you and closed my eyes
And prayed to God today
I asked "What makes a Mother?"
And I know I heard him say
A Mother has a baby
This we know is true
But, God, can you be a mother
When your baby's not with you?

Yes, you can he replied
With confidence in his voice
I give many women babies
When they leave it is not their choice
Some I send for a lifetime
And others for the day
And some I send to feel your womb
But there's no need to stay.

I just don't understand this God
I want my baby here

He took a breath and cleared his throat
And then I saw a tear
I wish I could show you
What your child is doing today
If you could see your child smile
With other children and say
"We go to earth to learn our lessons of love and life and fear
My mommy loved me so much
I got to come straight here
I feel so lucky to have a Mom who had so much love for me
I learned my lessons very quickly
My Mommy set me free.

I miss my Mommy oh so much
But I visit her each day
When she goes to sleep
On her pillow is where I lay
I stroke her hair and kiss her cheek
And whisper in her ear
Mommy don't be sad today
I'm your baby and I am here"

So you see my dear sweet one
Your children are okay
Your babies are here in My home
And this is where they'll stay
They'll wait for you with Me
Until your lessons are through
And on the day you come home
they'll be at the gates for you

So now you see
What makes a Mother
It's the feeling in your heart
It's the love you had so much of
Right from the very start

Author Unknown

I'm so sorry---I just cry to hear such devastating news!

The Sutton's said...

Again I am sooo sorry to hear about your sweet Mikkie! Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers! We love you guys!

Amber said...

I cannot express enough how sorry I am Laura. She was such a sweet little girl, I cannot imagine how hard this must be. We are praying for you.

Robyn said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I just found your blog recently and think that you are such an amazing person/wife/mother. I hope you will feel your sweet angel near you always. Your family is in my prayers.

Melanie said...

Laura, even though I don't personally know you, I feel like I do through your blog. I too think you are an amazing woman. You are in my prayers during this difficult time. Take comfort in knowing that you will one day see your little one again.

ScrappyMaria said...

I've only been to your blog a couple of times, but I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My heart goes out to you.

Stathis Five said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. What a sweet little girl she is. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

James and Crystal said...

You,Tim, and Faith are in our prayers. We love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so SO sorry for your loss. I will be praying for you.

Jenny said...

Laura, I just don't think this is something you will ever completely "get over". You have to take all the time you need. I've never experienced what you have, but I do know that just thinking about losing one of precious children brings me to tears. I can only imagine what you are going through...May the Lord bless you with strength and peace at this time.

Anonymous said...

I know you don't know me, but I have admired your blog and family for a few months now. The loss of a child is something that I cannot comprehend. I wish all the Lord's blessings on you and your family in this difficult time. You are in my prayers.

Love,

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Laura, I cant even begin to imagine what you and your family are going through and the only thing I can say is that I am truely sorry for the loss of your beautiful daughter. The amazing thing about our faith is that we have the Plan of Salvation. One day you will see your little girl again. I know the loss of a sister but not of a child, my prayers are with you and your family during this time.

Brittany said...

This is Nanci's friend, Brittany (we used to play bunco together). I am so sorry for your loss. You will be in my prayers.

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

Oh Laura! I just found out! I know that there are no words to say that could possibly make this any less hard. I am so sorry! We will keep you and your family in our prayers and we hope that you will feel the spirit of the Comforter in your home as you deal with this tragedy. I love you! Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

T Wittwer said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going thru. You will be in my thoughts and my prayers. I am sure she is a beautiful angel that was needed much more in heaven than here on earth!

lAuRa said...

Thank you everyone for your condolences, prayers and words of comfort. I can't tell you how much your support means to me. Thank you.

ABE said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your little girl. My heart is breaking for you. May you find comfort and peace through our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ during this very difficult time.

Kacey said...

We are so sorry to hear of your loss. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Clint and Kacey

Tinabean said...

I do not know you but I found your blog while I was looking for YW ideas. I am so sorry for the loss of your little one. I can't imagine what your & your family are going through. My prayers are with you. THank goodness for our beliefs or how would we get through these times. Please if there is anything I can do at all no matter how small let me know.

LotsaStuff ♥Suzanne♥ said...

I found your blog while looking for ideas for Relief Society handouts. My heart goes out to you and your family!♥ Please know that you are Loved and there are many that want to be there for you,, just like me. Hugz ~ Suzanne♥