Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Yummy French Toast

Usually when we celebrate birthdays in my family we get together for dinner, but this time we decided to mix things up and do a breakfast. I was excited for a chance to make this Crème Brûlée French Toast I've had on my list for about a year. I forgot to mark where I found it, so I can't remember where I got it! oopsie
This is prepared and soaked the night before, so in the morning all you have to do is bake it, oooh yea! It's definitely a keeper.
And if you've never had Buttermilk syrup, you need to try it, it's the best! I first got the recipe back in High School and it's been my favorite ever since.

Creme Brulee French Toast

Ingredients:

· 1/2 cup butter

· 1 cup packed brown sugar

· 2 tablespoons corn syrup

· 1 loaf Texas toast bread (extra-thick slices)

· 5 eggs

· 1 1/2 cups half-and half-cream

· 1/2 teaspoon salt

· 1 teaspoon vanilla

· 1 recipe buttermilk syrup

Method:

In a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup over medium heat until smooth, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture onto large, greased jelly roll pan (18x13x1). Spread to cover surface. Place 12 slices Texas toast bread in a single layer to cover pan. Mix together Eggs, cream, salt, and vanilla . Spon mixture over each piece of bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 350F. for about 30 minutes. Remove from pan and serve. If not serving immediately, turn each slice of bread over (this will prevent bread from sticking to the bottom of the pan). Serve with Syrup.

Makes 12 servings.

Buttermilk Syrup

Ingredients:

· 1 cup sugar

· 1/2 cube real butter

· 1/2 tsp. soda

· 1/2 cup buttermilk

· 1 tsp karo syrup

· 1 tsp vanilla

Method:

Mix all ingrediaents except vanilla and heat in saucepan to boiling. Boil 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

1 comments from awesome people!:

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

Just the name plus the picture make my mouth water. I am for sure going to need to try this recipe out! Thanks Laura!